****CLICK ON A GAME TO OPEN THE STREAM LINKS***

Footballer banned for 50 - FIFTY - years after referee incident

A footballer in Switzerland has been slapped with a 50-year ban from playing the game after a remarkable incident with a referee. Ricardo Ferreira of Portugal Futebol Clube was an unused substitute for his side in their 1-0 defeat by SC Worb in the Bern league, but he still managed to make quite an impact.

Ferreira, according to Swiss newspaper Blick, kicked the ball in the referee's face and then proceeded to spray him with water. That response came while he was busy hurling insults at the official as he left to depart down the tunnel at full-time.

As for why the ban is so long for the offence, the lawyer of Switzerland's amateur football league attempted to explain. "We do not want such a player in our league,” said Robert Breiter, the lawyer of Switzerland’s amateur football league. "Unfortunately we encounter such cases about once a year."

As for Ferreira, he was left utterly bewildered by the whole situation and was left sounding pretty distraught. "I had expected one or two years maximum. But 50 years? Football’s my life," he said. Given that football is his life, it's perhaps a shame that he has not been able to control his emotions so he can continue to participate in the sport. It is not the first time for the volatile player, who was once banned for 45 matches after being found guilty of assaulting opposition players and abusing officials.

His new suspension means that he will be free to return to football on June 5, 2064, when he will be at the ripe old age of 78. Maybe he will have found some self-control by that stage of his life.

Premier League - Team news ahead of November 1st Fixtures

Saturday

Newcastle United v Liverpool (12:45) :-Cheick Tiote will miss Newcastle's clash with Liverpool after failing to shake off a calf problem, while the Reds have no new issues.

Arsenal v Burnley :-Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere is likely to miss Saturday's Premier League clash with Burnley because of a knee injury.

Chelsea v Queens Park Rangers :- Striker Diego Costa is available for Chelsea, while QPR's Rio Ferdinand is banned for his latest Twitter misdemeanour.


Everton v Swansea City :- Swansea defender Federico Fernandez is free to play after having his red card for a tackle on Liverpool's Philippe Coutinho rescinded.

Hull City v Southampton :- Hull could face Southampton with the same XI that started last week's draw with Liverpool.

Leicester City v West Brom :_ West Brom midfielder Claudio Yacob is back after being granted permission to return to Argentina for personal reasons.

Stoke City v West Ham United :_ Diafra Sakho (shoulder) will be assessed as late as Saturday morning as Sam Allardyce gives the West Ham striker as much time as possible.

Sunday

Manchester City v Manchester United (13:30) :- Wayne Rooney's return is tempered by the loss of Radamel Falcao, while David Silva misses out for City.

Premier League - Newcastle v Liverpool preview: Pardew chasing four wins on the bounce

Still want rid of Alan Pardew, Newcastle fans?

The Toon made it three wins on the bounce with victory at Manchester City in the League Cup on Wednesday, and are now chasing a win that would carry them just one point behind opponents Liverpool in the Premier League. Mario Balotelli belatedly ended his goal drought in midweek and with Daniel Sturridge likely to be absent again, the focus will be on the Italian – should he start – to supply the goals for the visitors.

TEAM NEWS

Cheick Tiote will miss Newcastle's Premier League clash with Liverpool on Saturday after failing to shake off a calf problem. The Ivory Coast midfielder has not figured for the Magpies since his return from international duty earlier this month, and will sit out once again.

Striker Papiss Cisse is also a doubt after suffering a reaction to the screws used to repair his fractured kneecap, while central defender Mike Williamson will not be risked unless he has fully recovered from a muscle strain.

Liverpool have no fresh injury concerns ahead of Saturday's trip to Newcastle. Daniel Sturridge (calf), Mamadou Sakho (thigh) and Jon Flanagan (knee) remain unavailable for selection, along with ex-Magpie Jose Enrique, who Reds boss Brendan Rodgers has confirmed is sidelined by a knee issue.

In Sturridge's absence, Rodgers will once again make a call on the best option in attack from Fabio Borini, Rickie Lambert and Mario Balotelli, who is the only one of the trio to have scored this season and broke an eight-match goal drought earlier this week.

Liverpool to offer Steven Gerrard new deal on one condition - report

The Reds are prepared to discuss their captain's future but only on one condition.

Liverpool are prepared to discuss a new contract with captain Steven Gerrard on one condition, according to the Daily Telegraph. The club are yet to offer the 34-year-old a new deal and many critics have lambasted the Reds for their inability to act quicker. Gerrard is a club legend & icon and a potential Anfield exit could see him snapped up by a rival just as Frank Lampard was by Manchester City after leaving Chelsea.

But Brendan Rodgers is willing to offer the midfielder a new deal, according to the Telegraph's report, only with the condition that he accepts a smaller role within Liverpool's squad.

At 34, Gerrard is not a long-term solution on Merseyside and the skipper's form has already been criticised this season. Gerrard will thus have to accept the fact that he is likely to play less games in the future if he puts pen to paper to a new Liverpool contract.

Doubt over the midfielder's future stemmed from recent comments he made to the press. "I won't be retiring this summer. I will play beyond this season," Gerrard said in an interview with the Daily Mail and Daily Telegraph. "We will have to wait and see if that's at Liverpool or somewhere else. That's Liverpool's decision."

Pages